Citizen Police Academy
Residents are invited to hear, see and experience the duties of law enforcement. The group meets for 2.5 hours once each week for eight weeks to explore relevant topics like patrol tactics, legal aspects and use of force. This program is offered free with the goal of providing education on law enforcement and to form relationships with attendees.
Those interested in participating must be a minimum of 18 years old, complete an application, and pass a background check to be accepted into the program. A call for applications is made each January and remains open until the course is full. Priority will be given to Township residents. If space allows, non-residents may be accepted into the program.
Space is limited to 25 individuals and fills quickly. Registration for the 2023 cohort is now open. Classes will be held weekly March 5 -May 7, 2024 on Tuesdays from 6:30 p.m.- 9:00 p.m. covering the following topics:
- Welcome and Introduction: Your Police Department - History and Organizational Structure, Law Enforcement today, building tour.
- Constitutional Law: Discussion of current legal standards and how they apply to law enforcement.
- Taser and Less Lethal Options: Demonstration of Taser and explanation of force options pertaining to less lethal.
- OVI and Narcotics Usage: Learn practical issue of field sobriety testing, along with current drug trends and issues.
- Delaware Tactical Unit: Mission, purpose, training and displays.
- Patrol Tactics: Discussion on various patrol tactics, including active threat responses. Practical traffic stop scenarios simulation.
- Legal Aspects with Delaware County Prosecutor
- Mental health and Therapy Dogs and graduation