Drainage ditches, catch basins and downspout connection points within the Public Right of Way are maintained by Genoa Township in order to ensure proper management of stormwater.
To help prevent stormwater pollution:
- Pick up litter.
- Use environmentally friendly materials and follow application instructions carefully for fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides to maximize outcome with the least impact.
- Never put anything into a storm water drain other than storm water. A single gallon of oil can pollute 100,000 gallons of water.
- Use rain barrels for irrigation which can help minimize flow downstream and help to minimize your water bill (use may not be permitted in some HOA areas).
- Use car washes or environmentally friendly cleaners to limit soap from finding reaching our waterways.
- Do not mow the area near stream or reservoir banks. This will help limit erosion and filter pollutants prior to entering the waterway.
- Clean up after your pets. Genoa Township parks provide free pet waste bags. Fecal matter can be very damaging to ecosystems.