To help prevent stormwater pollution:
- Never put anything into a stormwater drain other than stormwater. For example, a single gallon of oil can pollute 100,000 gallons of water. Leaves can clog drains and contribute to neighborhood flooding.
- Clean up after your pets. Genoa Township parks provide free pet waste bags. Fecal matter can be very damaging to ecosystems.
- Pick up litter.
- Use environmentally friendly materials and follow application instructions carefully for fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides to maximize outcome with the least impact.
- Use rain barrels for irrigation which can help minimize flow downstream and help to minimize your water bill (use may not be permitted in some HOA areas).
- Use car washes or environmentally friendly cleaners to limit soap from finding reaching our waterways.
- Do not mow the area near streams or reservoir banks. This will help limit erosion and filter pollutants prior to entering the waterway.